Museo Salvatore Ferragamo
Museo Salvatore FerragamoMuseo Salvatore Ferragamo
Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Museo Salvatore Ferragamo

The logo

B
efore Salvatore Ferragamo arrived back in Italy in 1927, there was no Ferragamo logo. The footwear created by Salvatore almost exclusively for the movie industry was sold in his Hollywood Boot Shop. The name of Ferragamo stood for the man, the creative personality, but was not yet a brand. It was with the setting up of the Ferragamo company in Florence that the first logotype was devised: “Ferragamo’s Creations Florence Italy”.
The name of the maker was tied to that of the city of Florence, explicitly suggesting that shoes crafted in a city of art were almost works of art themselves, collector’s pieces. Ferragamo used this rademark to label his footwear.
With the extraordinary imagination that was peculiar to him and that he used not only to design shoes but also in his (ante litteram) marketing activities, he registered a number of trademarks including, for example, “Pompeian” for fabric or raffia summer shoes and “Leonardo by Ferragamo” for the Capri sandals in the Fifties.
The trademark that’s known worldwide as the Ferragamo logo didn’t come into being till after Salvatore Ferragamo’s death in the Sixties. The family wanted the new trademark to feature the name of the departed founder, in the graphically recreated form of his original signature. Since then, this logo has labelled not only products and stores but also packaging and advertising campaigns. The initial F, for Ferragamo, also suggested a number of fabric patterns and even the name of a fragrance.